Submitted by CygnusTM
An authentic shortbread recipe handed down through my family. You'll never eat that crap in the plaid box again after you try this. (I'll add pictures the next time I make this.)
- 1 pound (4 sticks) of salted butter softened (NOT margarine)
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar (for top, may be colored)
For more authenticity, substitute ½ to 1 cup of rice flour for the same amount of AP flour.
- Mix the sugar and butter together thoroughly.
- Add flour one cup at a time until it is mixed in thoroughly. I mix in the first three or four cups in a bowl with a wooden spoon, then knead in the rest.
- Press into a 13x9 baking sheet.
- Dock the top with a fork with the marks about an inch apart.
- Put in a cold oven.
- Set oven to 275°.
- Bake for 75 minutes.
Finished shortbread should only be slightly darker than uncooked.
- Sprinkle sugar on top.
- Cut into fingers.