Pickled Carrot and Daikon Radish
Pickled carrot and daikon radish (Đồ chua). This condiment is served with a variety of Vietnamese dishes, particularly grilled meats. It keeps well in the fridge for several weeks so is handy to keep around to throw together a quick Vietnamese-inspired meal.
- 1 - 1.5 cups carrot, julienned
- 1 - 1.5 cups Daikon radish, julienned
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Toss the vegetables with the 2 tsp of salt and sugar. Let it sit in a colander for 30-60 minutes for the liquid to drip out. Rinse the vegetables, then press gently to squeeze out excess water.
- Mix together the 1 cup vinegar, 1 cup water, and 1/2 cup sugar until sugar is dissolved.
- Place vegetables in a jar or your desired vessel and fill with the solution. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes before eating but at least two hours is ideal. Once you make your first batch, you can decide if you like it sweeter or more sour and adjust the vinegar and sugar accordingly.
OP by Mich, Transcribed by Aery