Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a recipe I picked up a while back and have adjusted a bit to make it my own. I really like the background bite of some chili in my mango chutney but you can leave that out if you'd prefer.
- 2 Mangoes
- an inch and a half or so of nice aromatic ginger
- oil for pan
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp chopped chili (or chili paste to taste, note added note, not main flavour)
- 1/2 cup minced onion (in the photos I used green as someone was allergic to white at the dinner I was making this for)
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 tbsp good salt
- few pinches of cumin
- Grate your mangoes fine or coarse depending on the final consistently you want. Your first time I'd likely recommend using a coarse grating then giving the pile of mango a few chops to cut the larger strands..
- Sauté your onions in the oil until they've caramelized slightly
- Add the ginger and raisins, stirring to mix with the onions
- After about 30 seconds add your mango, then the remaining ingredients, stir and bring to a boil
- reduce heat to half and let the mixture thicken until the mango is firm but tender.