Habanero Hot Sauce
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Submitted by Lumpy
This is a thick, pureed sauce that is pretty hot, but not "stupid." The sugars from the roasted veggies mellow it out and give it a nice flavor.
- 10 habanero peppers
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. dried cilantro
- .25 large onion
- 1 tspn. olive oil
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- roast the garlic and all the peppers (toss in oil, place in 350 degree oven for 45 mins)
- remove garlic form paper
- skin the roasted red pepper
- top, core and seed the red pepper, julianne into thick strips.
- top the habaneros
- slice onion thin
- in a medium saucepan, sweat the onion with the salt and oil for 5 - 10 minutes over low heat
- add garlic, sweat for 5 minutes
- add rest of ingredients and bring to a boil
- lower heat to medium, and simmer until liquid is reduced by half, stirring occasionally
- turn off heat, and allow to cool completely
- process in blender or food processor to desired smoothness.
- do your dishes, you think you can just leave a mess in the kitchen?