Gigantic, Three-Layer, Coconut-filled Chocolate Cake
Submitted by kywai
* 2 c. boiling water * 1 c. unsweetened cocoa power * 3 c. all-purpose flour * 2 tsp baking soda * 1/2 tsp baking powder * 1 c. butter (softened) * 2 c. white sugar * 4 eggs * 2 tsp vanilla extract
1) Preheat oven to 350 F. Whisk the hot water and cocoa powder together until smooth and set aside to cool. In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and baking powder.
2) In yet another bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Add the eggs one by one, and then the vanilla. Into this mixture incorporate the cocoa slurry and the flour mixture in small quantities until it is all one big delicious bowl of chocolatey stuff.
3)Pour the mixture into 3 9-inch pans lined with parchment paper (seriously... use the parchment paper. Just... do it.) Bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool completely. Completely.
While that is cooling...
* 1/2 c. evaporated milk * 2 tbsp butter * 20 large marshmallows * 200g (around 12 oz) unsweetened shredded coconut
1) Combine the evaporated milk and butter in a sauce pan and heat until they are combined. 2) Stir in the marshmallows and heat till they are all completely melted. 3) Take the mixture off the heat and stir in the coconut. Set aside for later...
Chocolate Ganache... Sauce... Topping?
* 1/2 evaporated milk * 5 oz. unsweetened chocolate * 1/2 c. white sugar
1)Melt all the ingredients together in a double-boiler (improvised or otherwise) until smooth.
Layer those nice, cool cakes that have come out of their pans perfectly (and definitely not crumbly because you didn't have time for them to cool) one on top of the other with the coconut filling in between layers. Pour the chocolate sauce over the top of the cake and spread it around and down the sides. Chill for at least an hour so that everything has time to set up, and then slice and serve!