Coriander Coconut Beef Skewers
This was my attempt at a flavour that was new to me. A friend had once described a dish he had on holiday that he said was beef stewed with coconut milk mixed with coriander. Since it was a beautiful night I decided I wanted to grill something, and when that flavour came to mind I decided to try this out.
The beef stayed juicy and flavourful with the coating giving it a really interesting zing and crunch. If I were making them again I think I would grind the coriander a bit finer though.
- Beef for the number of people you're serving (I went with a small steak serving two people)
- Coriander (preferably whole)
- Unsweetened coconut
- Orange Juice
- Grind the coriander and mix it with the coconut until you have a nice coating mix.
- Soak an approximately appropriate amount of skewers, this is to keep them from catching on fire during grilling. As you may or may not see based on how pictures turned out I was rushed and um... shortened this process and had some rather black results.
- Start by slicing the beef thinly then soak it for a bit in the orange juice mixture. You want the beef thin enough to cook quickly (so the coconut doesn't burn too much) but thick enough that it'll stay on the skewer.
- thoroughly coat the beef in the coconut/coriander mix then skewer it.
- Cook until crispy done on the grill(doesn't take long)
- Serve either as an appetizer or as an entree