Brandied Cranberry-Apricot Bars
This one's from a Better Homes and Gardens Christmas cookie magazine (those magazines are so addictive).
(like a fruit tart, but in bar cookie form)
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup dark raisins
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup snipped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup brandy or water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- powdered sugar
1. In a small saucepan stir together dried fruit and brandy or water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand for 20 minutes. Drain.
2. Preheat oven to 350F. For crust, in a medium mixing bowl stir together the 1 cup flour and the 1/3 cup brown sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Press mixture into an ungreased 8x8x2 inch baking pan. Bake in oven about 20 minutes or until golden.
4. In a medium mixing bowl beat eggs. Stir in the 1 cup brown sugar, the 1/2 cup flour and vanilla until just combined. Add drained fruit; stir to mix. Pour and evenly spread mixture on top of baked crust.
5. Bake about 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, covering with foil for the last 10 minutes to prevent overbrowning. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into bars.