Banana Bread French Toast with Ginger Creme Anglaise
Submitted by Rockzilla
This recipe came about while I was brainstorming for my first ICSA entry in Battle Ginger. I knew that ginger would work well with bananas as well as with a custard-based sauce. I put two and two together and came up with a wild idea that ended up being the highlight of my submission.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 Cup sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 4 Overripe Bananas
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp powdered ginger
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- Combine all the dry ingredients except sugar in one bowl, and the wet ones and sugar in another. Add the wet to the dry and mix well.
- Pour batter into a loaf pan and bake at 350F for about 30-40 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then slice into 1/2 inch thick slices and allow to stale slightly.
Ginger Creme Anglaise
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 40g Sugar
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 160 mL Milk
- Start the Creme Anglaise by simmering the milk with the ginger. Set aside. Whip the yolks and sugar together in a stainless-steel bowl.
- Slowly adding the hot milk. Heat the mixture over a double boiler until thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Cool the mixture and transfer to a squeeze bottle.
- Slice the french toast and drizzle with creme anglaise.