Pumpkin Soup with Mussels
Submitted by eller
This is my entry for ICSA3: Featuring Squash, originally posted to http://www.gbsfood.com/icsa/viewtopic.php?t=29. (NB: link no longer works)
I am a big fan of sweet pumpkin soup as I don't care much for squash alone. I usually take the route of sweetening things up with maple syrup or caramelized onions but I thought that I'd try something more savoury this time instead and was impressed.
- 1 1/2-2 small pumpkins (you'll want about 3 cups worth of usable substance)
- 1-2 lbs mussels (1lb per person is the general rule)
- 750ml dry white wine (I used Chablis, but if I do this again I'll use a dry table wine instead)
- 1 cup water
- 1 shallot
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. curry powder (optional)
- Salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley (optional garnish)
Start by cleaning mussels in a sieve. Rinse and remove any 'beards' you see.